We've seen it all...
After being around the block a few times, we've encountered just about every obstacle there is when it comes to surprise set up locations at events. To prevent these instances from happening twice, we do our best to make sure brides, planners and all other clients know what it takes for a great photo booth experience at their event!
Here is what our photo booth requires for our signature top-notch experience!
- Put the photo booth in an obvious location. Too many times we've seen clients place us outside of the main event hall. If guests can't see us, we're out of sight and out of mind, which just plain stinks! Just in case you're worried about us being distracting during speeches or dances, we make it a point to temporarily stop the photo booth during those times (and turn off our light) so we're not taking attention away from the special moment!
- Acessibility. Make sure the route we'll need to take to get to the set up space is wheelchair accessible. Until someone creates an affordable, futuristic, stair-climbing rolling cart for all of our gear, we prefer elevators and wheelchair ramps. Plus, you want to make sure any disabled guests can access the photo booth once we're up and running! If our only option is a non-wheelchair accessible route, we can make it happen, but there is a small fee that will need to be added to the invoice.
- Space requirements. We need a space that is at least 6’ long by 9’ wide by 10' high, but a 10'x10'x10' space is ideal! Make sure to leave space for a line as well.
- Power. We need a wall outlet (110V, 10 amps, 3 prong outlet) that is dedicated for the photo booth. Sharing an outlet with a bunch of other things like the DJ or lighting can sometimes overpower the plug, but we have a 20 foot extension cord that can help us reach a far away outlet if needed.
- Place the photo booth indoors. Austin weather is unpredictable, and who wants to go outside and get all sweaty just to take a photo? Be proactive and carve out a space for us inside your event hall so weather is never an issue! If your only option is to put the photo booth outside, we can be placed on concrete under an awning, like a porch, or under a 10x10 tent with three tarp walls to protect the backdrop from wind. Also, if you're feeling a bit generous, a portable a/c unit or fan will keep our attendant happy and energized to entertain your guests! The photo booth may not be placed on grass or wet ground.
- Keep the photo booth away from sunlight. Sunlight shining on the photo booth creates harsh shadows on the guests taking photos (not to mention it causes squinty eyes!), but also be wary of putting the backdrop against a window during daylight hours since the light might shine through the backdrop. On the subject of light, make sure there aren't any pot lights or chandeliers right above the photo booth. Those sometimes cause crazy shadows! If there is a light above the photo booth, it can either be turned off or the lightbulb can be sneakily unscrewed and then replaced after the event!
- Provide a 6-foot table with a linen that matches the rest of your event decor. We highly encourage all our clients to do this because it makes the photo booth look like it actually belongs at your event, and is not just an afterthought stuck in the corner. We also like to have at least one separate cocktail table to place near the photo booth, so guests have a spot to set their drinks while they cheese it up in the booth! If you want to make the space look really luxurious, repurpose a floral arrangement from your ceremony and place it on a corner of the table near the photo booth, or create a special sign that says "Photo Booth" or one that has your event hashtag on it.
That may seem like a lot, but at most of the Austin venues we've encountered, there are usually a handful of set up options. If you're struggling with how the photo booth will work in your space, shoot us an email and we'll be happy to explain what we've done at your venue before!
We are still in awe of the 2017 Texas Medal of Arts Awards at Bass Concert Hall! The pink carpet was rolled out to celebrate all of the Texas-native nominees, including Kris Kristofferson, Scott Pelley and Kenny Rogers, just to name a few! The six-story concert hall was beautifully decorated in magenta and orange with white floral accents. Surrounded by past and current honorees in their gorgeous gowns and tuxedos, our booth and custom designed red carpet style backdrop was placed right in the center of the main floor lobby of Bass Concert Hall. The night left us smiling ear to ear in awe of all that was taking place! (Our owner Kelsey even got a good glimpse at THE John Paul Dejoria, the king of the Paul Mitchell empire!) We were so happy to be a part of such a beautiful event honoring those who inspire and make a difference in the arts in our great state of Texas.
We've been seeing recaps from many guests pop up in our news feeds recently, and we think Austin 360 writer Michael Barnes summed up the glamour pretty well! Also, we saw all the portraits taken of the honorees as well! Check it out here!
Happy 2017, y'all! We are starting off the year right by gearing up for some amazing bridal shows and open houses this month and next, but we wanted to share some fun photos from Flannery & Nicholas' gorgeous Prospect House wedding on New Year's Eve! We had so much fun hanging out with their guests. We've always loved Prospect House, and it was so amazing to finally see it at night! There were giant white balloons lining the walkway at the entrance, and pretty lights hanging across the guests' chairs at the ceremony site. Kate with Wild Sky Events did such an amazing job helping pull everything together, and we loved getting to see some gorgeous work from our friend Shannon over at The Inviting Pear, who created Flannery and Nicholas' seating charts, acrylic dinner menus, copper drink menu and programs.
We even saw a few familiar faces at the wedding. Peter, our operations manager, is a born and raised Austinite and was helping at the wedding, and he ran into a few of his old teachers from elementary school! Small world!
Happy 2017, again, you guys! Can't wait to see what this year holds for us!
During this time of year, as all the craziness of wedding season begins to wind down and with tons of holiday parties right around the corner, we start reflecting on all of the amazing people we've gotten to work with since we started our business last October. There is absolutely no way we would be where we are today without you, and we want to say thank you!
Word of mouth is like gold in this industry! Other people trust you, the people who have seen the booth in action. Your opinions matter immensely, and we want more fun people to let us be a part of their fun events! For this to happen, we need reviews! And we're here to offer a little incentive.
If you leave us a review on at least three of these platforms, we will mail you a cup of coffee! Okay, so it'll be a Starbucks gift card. But who doesn't love a free drink from the 'bucks?? To make it easy, we won't even consider it cheating if you copy and paste your review across all the platforms!
Let us know if you have any questions, and please send us your mailing address once you give us some love online!
The Oh Happy Day Booth Team
Here at Oh Happy Day Booth, we're always searching for ways to make your photo booth rental cohesive with your wedding theme and color scheme!
When Pantone rolled out Marsala as their 2015 Color of the Year, we instantly fell in love. We're still so excited that this shade still hasn't gone out of style, and we think it's the perfect fit for a fall or winter wedding! Several of our backdrops would look so amazing with marsala, but the gold/marsala color combo is just about unbeatable.
We can't wait for Pantone to release their 2017 color (or will it be color(s) like it was this year??)! According to House Beautiful, even with the fall season quickly approaching, it looks like spring is on Pantone's mind! They rolled out a few predictions of what hues will be popular this coming spring, and we're crossing our fingers that Flame and Island Paradise are in the running for the title of Color of the Year!
Are you getting married this fall? What are your wedding colors?
Whether you're an adult serving up spooky cocktails with creepy crawly garnishes at a swanky costume party, or you're throwing a kids party for your little ones with adorable goodie bags filled with your favorite candies (save all the peanut butter cups for me, please!), a photo booth would be the perfect addition to all the fun!
We've never seen a sad person in our booth (well, except for the cranky toddler who was up past his bed time!) so we thought we'd share some fun ideas for a custom backdrop that is sure to be the hit of your party!
1. Paper Fan Wall Art
Make your own paper fans out of your favorite scrapbook paper, or go the less time intensive route and run by a local craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby to pick up a few packages of paper fans.
2. pumpkin patch Wall Tapestry
Make everyone think your party think you rented out a whole pumpkin patch! This wall tapestry is easy to hang and would make a big statement.
3. hay bales and banners
Create a cool sitting booth for parties with lots of small children. Parents won't get tired of lifting their children up so the camera can see them, and kids will enjoy being able to stand tall on top of the hay bales! Use a solid color backdrop with fall-themed banners to bring out the fall spirit.
4. Metallic Magnolia leaves
Nothing says fall like changing leaves! Ruie + Grace absolutely nailed it with this leafy backdrop, and we think it would be incredible for a photo booth. They used browning leaves, and spray painted some of them gold to mix in for a gorgeous metallic pop!
5. Spooky glam lounge
Raise the bar on the glam factor of your party by including a rich-colored velvet sofa paired with spooky accessories like a birdcage, a witch's broom, old books and lots of pumpkins!
Hopefully this got your creative juices flowing if a Halloween party is in your future this month! If you are planning an Austin party this October, give us a call! We still have some availability, and we’d love to be a part of the fun!
We spent Monday evening with the gorgeous ladies of Kappa Delta at the University of Texas! The whole house was decked out in all things green and white, and one of their props was even an overstuffed bear, their sorority mascot! Everyone had a blast in the booth, and hopefully a few new friendships were formed just by taking photos together!
Welcome home, baby KD's!